Monday, July 14, 2008

Emergency Homecooked Concoctions

Since my last blog, many things have changed in my life, one of which was the recent loss of my job. During this time, about a week ago, I ran completely out of dog food and had no money to get more. Luckily, I had several things in my kitchen that I was able to mix together into a concoction - my first ever attempt at home cooking for my pets. It was very successful, and got the OK from a few people I know, who also know their food stuff, so I figured I'd post it for my next emergency, and to help others out who might run out of kibble and need an emergency meal for their dogs.

1-2 cups rice (white or brown)
6 turkey necks
1 cup whole chicken hearts and gizzards
2-3 eggs
Fish or Canola oil
Vitamin E (If available)

Put rice in rice cooker, or boil on stove until done. Put turkey necks and whole chicken gizzards and hearts on a baking pan, and cook in the oven at 250-300. Check often. Remove gizzards and hearts when done and leave turkey necks to bake until cooked through. Chop gizzards and hearts into cubes, and strip meat off the turkey necks. Set aside the turkey bones. Grind up the eggs, shell and all, in a blender and cook in a pan until done. Break into little pieces. Add the turkey meat, organs, and eggs to the rice and put desired amount in food bowls. Add about 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil and some vitamin E to each food bowl, mix it up, and serve. Be sure to read the measurements on the vitamin E container before dosing.

If your dog carefully chews up any bones you give him, you may give him a turkey neck bone. However, if he gulps his food and any chew toys, throw away the turkey bones when you are done taking the meat off them.

This recipe was meant to feed both a 40 lb dog and a 27 lb dog for 2-3 days, so the amount of food it will make for your individual dog will vary, and you may need to cook more. It was eaten by both my dogs with great success, and no stomach upset, and is great for emergencies. Enjoy!

All articles on this blog are written by Victoria Steen unless otherwise stated. They are NOT to be redistributed.

No comments: